Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing a deceased parent's iphone X without losing data.

So, my father passed away a month ago and my sister sent me his iPhone X. She tried to gain access to it by guessing his pass code, but the phone's security eventually locked her out. So, I am now trying to ascertain the proper procedure - via Apple - to have his iCloud account transferred to my name, so that I may access his phone's data without losing it. He used his phone to store all of his passwords and account info required for fast-tracking discovery for probate, so if we lose everything, including precious photos and videos, then what's the point, really. Can someone please tell me what the procedure is and how long I should anticipate waiting? Thank you in advance!

iPhone X

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 12:12 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.

See this Apple support article—>How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support. Note that if the phone is disabled it is not possible to retrieve any content from it, all you can do is restore it to factory settings. If the phone was synced to iCloud, backed up to iCloud (which is not the same as synced) or backed up to a computer synced data can be re-synced to the phone and the backup can be restored to the phone.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2020 12:12 PM in response to jdeclanflynn

I am so sorry for your loss.

See this Apple support article—>How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support. Note that if the phone is disabled it is not possible to retrieve any content from it, all you can do is restore it to factory settings. If the phone was synced to iCloud, backed up to iCloud (which is not the same as synced) or backed up to a computer synced data can be re-synced to the phone and the backup can be restored to the phone.

Accessing a deceased parent's iphone X without losing data.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.