Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV: IPhone app vs Fire TV app

I subscribed to Apple TV on my iPhone. I then downloaded the Apple TV app onto my Amazon Firestick so I can stream on my larger tv. However, there are movies and shows that are available for me to watch on my iPhone but if I try to access them on the Firestick app, it says “how to watch” and says I have to subscribe to a certain channel. For example, on my iPhone, if I click on A Simple Favor, the play button appears and I can watch it. If I click on the same movie on the Apple TV Firestick app, it says “how to watch” and won’t let me play it. And, yes, I am signed in. Any suggestions?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 4:28 AM

The Apple TV app on your iPhone may link to third party apps from other content providers, which the Apple TV app on your Fire TV cannot do. So it depends on how you watch a certain movie, and which content provider is involved. Purchased movies from the iTunes Store, or on subscribed Apple TV app Channels should be available to you on either device (when signed in with the same Apple ID account). In contrast, movies on e.g. Hulu/Prime/Vudu/Epix/etc. (separate apps) wouldn’t be linked through the Apple TV app on your Fire TV.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2020 4:28 AM in response to Newhop

The Apple TV app on your iPhone may link to third party apps from other content providers, which the Apple TV app on your Fire TV cannot do. So it depends on how you watch a certain movie, and which content provider is involved. Purchased movies from the iTunes Store, or on subscribed Apple TV app Channels should be available to you on either device (when signed in with the same Apple ID account). In contrast, movies on e.g. Hulu/Prime/Vudu/Epix/etc. (separate apps) wouldn’t be linked through the Apple TV app on your Fire TV.

Apple TV: IPhone app vs Fire TV app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.