Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts

What is the fix for multiple entries for the same person

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 9:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 6:41 AM

Sorry, I misinterpreted your question. It sounds to me like your contacts are generated, and reside on different accounts. Since you don't indicate which devices, or services are involved, I recommend that you consult these Support Articles:

1. If you see duplicate contacts after setting up iCloud Contacts - Apple Support
  2. Hide duplicate contacts on iPhone - Apple Support
  3. Resolve duplicates while importing contacts into Contacts on Mac - Apple Support
  4. Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2020 6:41 AM in response to peterwhi

Sorry, I misinterpreted your question. It sounds to me like your contacts are generated, and reside on different accounts. Since you don't indicate which devices, or services are involved, I recommend that you consult these Support Articles:

1. If you see duplicate contacts after setting up iCloud Contacts - Apple Support
  2. Hide duplicate contacts on iPhone - Apple Support
  3. Resolve duplicates while importing contacts into Contacts on Mac - Apple Support
  4. Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jun 5, 2020 7:37 PM in response to peterwhi

That's a lot to digest...so do you see duplicates in Contacts on iCloud.com? If you see duplicate contacts after setting up iCloud Contacts - Apple Support

Contacts are not associated with iCloud Drive.

Services involved refers to "Internet Accounts:" Use your internet accounts on Mac - Apple Support, and Use other contact accounts on iPhone - Apple Support

Considering your various devices/systems you should also review: System requirements for iCloud - Apple Support

Jun 5, 2020 9:38 PM in response to peterwhi

peterwhi wrote:

I'm sorry, Ferd II, if I'm belabouring you with a lot of detail. It's hard to get that right.

The article you've first referred me to is again the only one I've looked at, at this stage. The very first thing that article suggests is that if the iCloud contacts are duplicated, I need to refer to Apple Support. As the iCloud contacts are showing as duplicated (and more), I've attempted to do that. But I'm not able to see how to get the support once I get to the main Apple Support page. And I do want to avoid trying to do this by telephone.

Perhaps one of the other articles will help with that?

No "belabouring" perceived.

You should really look at all of the articles I suggested, considering the combination of operating systems, and devices which you are using.

I can see where referring to Apple Support "in the first article" is nebulous. Perhaps: If your iCloud Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders won’t sync - Apple Support will help avoid telephone contact, but if you have a relative, or friend phone support may prove be your best option.

Jun 4, 2020 10:11 PM in response to Ferd II

But it's been going on for a long time. Some of the items are the same and others are different. Several devices are involved in the syncing. I get as many as 7 entries on one device, 6 on another; in other cases the multiplication is lower and it appears that it's the more recently entered instances that have fewer multiplications. I guess, my main hope is to learn of any way I can remove the multiplications that would be less time consuming than dealing with each card one by one.

Jun 5, 2020 6:22 PM in response to Ferd II

The duplicates (at least mostly) are on iCloud (accessed via iCloud Drive). By going to Apple Support didn't help me, first because there wasn't anything I was able to access there specific to duplicated Contacts and secondly, because I'm reluctant to go to Apple Support by way of telephone on account of a hearing problem I have.

Knowing now that this is what your first recommended article led me to, are you able to elaborate?

My devices are, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, older (mid 2007) iMac with restricted OS, iPad 2 and iPhone 8 Plus. I'm unsure about what to say beyond that about which services are involved.

Jun 5, 2020 9:03 PM in response to Ferd II

I'm sorry, Ferd II, if I'm belabouring you with a lot of detail. It's hard to get that right.

The article you've first referred me to is again the only one I've looked at, at this stage. The very first thing that article suggests is that if the iCloud contacts are duplicated, I need to refer to Apple Support. As the iCloud contacts are showing as duplicated (and more), I've attempted to do that. But I'm not able to see how to get the support once I get to the main Apple Support page. And I do want to avoid trying to do this by telephone.

Perhaps one of the other articles will help with that?

Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.