Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 3 will not pair after iOS 13.5.1 update

Prior to updating my iPhone 8 to iOS 13.5.1 my Apple Watch Sport 3 series was working fine. After the update, my Apple Watch was unpaired and now it will not pair with my iPhone. I tried everything but nothing works. Please help.

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 7:39 AM

According to the service centre team, they can fix a hardware problem and not a software issue. Software related, Apple already knows and will fix the bug in the next update. My question to them is .. We all dont know when the next one is gonna be released ... so till that time, I should just keep my watch lying around, not use it. Waste of time and money for having one and what is the guarantee that with the next update it will be fixed, and if not then what ? What shall I do with the watch ? I am shocked the way Apple is working these days. I am using their phones since they came out with iphone 3 and now i am highly disappointed ..

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2020 7:39 AM in response to paulfromwinchester

According to the service centre team, they can fix a hardware problem and not a software issue. Software related, Apple already knows and will fix the bug in the next update. My question to them is .. We all dont know when the next one is gonna be released ... so till that time, I should just keep my watch lying around, not use it. Waste of time and money for having one and what is the guarantee that with the next update it will be fixed, and if not then what ? What shall I do with the watch ? I am shocked the way Apple is working these days. I am using their phones since they came out with iphone 3 and now i am highly disappointed ..

Jun 5, 2020 9:58 PM in response to sun283

Yes, there are many users who are facing this issue. The same has been confirmed by Apple support team also. I had my Apple Watch series 4 paired for a long time with an iPhone 6, this weekend, I unpaired it and tried paring it with an iPhone 6S Plus with iOS13.5.1 and it didnt pair. Customer support informed me that there is bug in this iOS update and people like me will have to wait till Apple releases its next update. Very frustrating. Cant use the watch for the past few days. Even the service center guys couldnt resolve the issue.

Jun 6, 2020 7:42 AM in response to paulfromwinchester

I called and the tech advised me to pair with my old iPhones. My daughter has an iPhone 6 with the update of 12.4.7 and it was not able to update the Apple Watch. Also, it did not pair with my husband's iPhone with a 13.4.1. This is very upsetting. I am in a running program and need to log in my activities. I don't have the money or time to just waste on waiting for Apple to fix this update.

Jun 6, 2020 10:56 AM in response to Community User

I called yesterday and the tech had me go through the process of pairing, updating, and unpairing, etc. I will call support again and ask them to take the watch back and fix the issue. Although I am in MD, there's a implied warranty of merchantability that applies. If Apple is claiming (see comments above) that it does not know about this issue, then, the Apple Watch is definitely violating the implied warranty. http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Laws/StatuteText?article=gcl&section=2-314

I'm a runner and a very frustrated attorney who just wants her Apple Watch to pair.

Jun 10, 2020 4:21 AM in response to paulfromwinchester

Same problem with me. They told me to send the watch in. I did. After they had it in possession they told me it would cost $199 to fix the problem because it was a hardware issue and not software which completely contradicts earlier conversations. Fact is the watch worked prior to the update and does not work with the phone now. I am waiting for them to return my watch, which unfortunately is now completely useless. Question; Are they trying to force use into purchasing new hardware or is this a software glitch to be fixed that the tech dept is ignoring presently? Regardless it is very frustrating and making me reconsider my faith in Apple products and support.

Jun 10, 2020 4:24 AM in response to paulfromwinchester

Yes. They told me this. I sent the watch in. They then told me it would cost $199 to “fix” the watch. Be careful. From my experience with the service, it feels like they are ignoring the issues and just want me to purchase a new unit. Support either lied to you or lied to me. As of yesterday they told me they are unable to upgrade the watch to work with the phone update.

Jun 10, 2020 1:41 PM in response to Ridac

I just got an email from Apple on this issue; keep in mind all I did was update my XR to13.5.1 and then the watch wouldn’t pair or be usable in any way and the Apple tech dept told me they would update the software on my series 1 so it worked if I sent it to them. They received it and asked for $199 to fix it. I said no and they replied with; “Our technicians inspected your product. They noticed it shows signs of accidental damage or misuse, so they can't repair it.....”. So apparently using their software is misuse or they accidentally damaged my watch. I am extremely upset with Apple and am Seriously considering a technology change. I don’t know that I want to be associated with a company that misleads its users like this. Advice is welcome. Thanks

Jun 10, 2020 6:31 PM in response to Vadnamloot

Well, All I did on Sunday was tried to update the watch and it did, I think Apple has a major server issue. Its the watch OS that has an issue and not the iOS because if the iOS had an issue then there would have been another update and then we could have updated the watch OS. I was also told to pay however I didnt and collected the watch without paying. Do not pay. Just attempt and keep trying. I was able to update my watch and am now on the latest WatchOS. Good luck !!

Jun 11, 2020 9:18 AM in response to Farhad Behrana

I got my watch back from Apple repair. It is in worse shape then when I sent it in. Now it has scratches along the outside of it and it won’t power on without a red circle around a “!” I wonder what they did to it. Be careful sending in the watch. Apparently they will make it worse in efforts to get you to purchase a new one. Bait and switch?

Jun 18, 2020 12:45 PM in response to sun283

Same issue after updating iPhone 8 w IOS 13.5.1 my Watch 3 has stopped working and is stuck in boot up mode. Called Apple Support and they had it inspected by local tech provider who ended up telling me watch is shot and dead.

Seems like another case of Apple’s Planned Obsolescence strategy to boost their sales while the world suffers thru an pandemic and economic disastrophy.

Jul 24, 2020 1:10 PM in response to Community User

Hi was there any specific verbiage you used to complete this?

I too had a perfectly working watch then did the update and now it will not work.

I sent it in and they are saying they need to replace the hardware in order to fix the issue and charging me almost $250.00

I trouble-shooted with 3 different customer service reps and they agree'd yeah this is a software issue. When i finally reached the senior manager he said he had many many requests with this same issue.

My watch was working perfect before the update, no cosmetic issue, never dropped, and doesn't even have a scratch.

Pretty clear here that they have far too many requests for this and are starting to just charge for it.

Apple has a history with making older products function poorly (proof in the class action law suit)

Unlucky that i didn't get in before they realized they have to start charging for this.

Apple Watch 3 will not pair after iOS 13.5.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.