Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Songs from the Apple Music library also deletes them for a playlist! HOW CAN I STOP THIS????

i know this has probably been asked 1000 times - but i still can't find an answer!

on my iMac using Apple Music:

if i add a song to a playlist WITHOUT adding it to my library - the song will stay in my playlist until i edit the playlist. perfect. works great.

if i add a song to my library and then add that song to a playlist or two - but then i want to clean out the "library" and remove the song / delete the downloaded file - it also removes it from the playlist???? THAT IS STUPID!

am i missing something? some setting? a secret hack? dumbest thing ever.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 11:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 11:38 AM

Adding to a playlist without adding to the library is an Apple Music feature that allows you to temporarily add media to a single playlist, or add curated playlists to your library, without adding the items to the library as a whole. Once you add something to the core iCloud Music Library you can remove the local download if you wish, but removing from the library clears from the library and every playlist which has always been the standard behaviour. You can send feedback to Product Feedback - Apple.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 11:38 AM in response to djp1972

Adding to a playlist without adding to the library is an Apple Music feature that allows you to temporarily add media to a single playlist, or add curated playlists to your library, without adding the items to the library as a whole. Once you add something to the core iCloud Music Library you can remove the local download if you wish, but removing from the library clears from the library and every playlist which has always been the standard behaviour. You can send feedback to Product Feedback - Apple.

tt2

Deleting Songs from the Apple Music library also deletes them for a playlist! HOW CAN I STOP THIS????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.