Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image > Adjust Date and Time > Closest City does NOT update the time zone

Hi,

It seems like my current version of photos (Version 5.0 (151.19.150)) on MacOS Catalina (10.15.5) has a bug.

Whenever I'm trying to adjust the time zone of one of multiple photos by doing "Image > Adjust Date and Time > Closest City", if I check whether the time zone was changed by redoing "Image > Adjust Date and Time" I can see the time zone hasn't been changed (as if I had done nothing).

What is going on there? Is there anything I can do to fix this behavior? It's really a big issue because a lot of my photos need to be readjust as they appear in different chronological order than others I took with a different device.

Thanks for your advice in advance,

Killian

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 5:25 AM

Do you want to shift the capture time by the time zone offset or to convert the date and time to a different time zone?

For me "Adjust Date & Time" is working well in MacOS Catalina (10.15.5).

• To correct a Date & Time and to shift it to a different timezone by the time zone offset,
    • I open "Image > Adjust Date and Time",
    • click the time zone strip, change the city to the closest city,
    • then set the "Time Adjusted" back to the original Date&Time, otherwise Photos will just convert the the time to the different time zone, but not correct the time, if the camera has been set incorrectly. The Time Adjusted and the Original Time need to show the same time, just the closest City needs to be changed.

Did you put the "Time Adjusted" back to the "Original Time" after changing the timezone?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2020 5:25 AM in response to killianfrompont st pierre

Do you want to shift the capture time by the time zone offset or to convert the date and time to a different time zone?

For me "Adjust Date & Time" is working well in MacOS Catalina (10.15.5).

• To correct a Date & Time and to shift it to a different timezone by the time zone offset,
    • I open "Image > Adjust Date and Time",
    • click the time zone strip, change the city to the closest city,
    • then set the "Time Adjusted" back to the original Date&Time, otherwise Photos will just convert the the time to the different time zone, but not correct the time, if the camera has been set incorrectly. The Time Adjusted and the Original Time need to show the same time, just the closest City needs to be changed.

Did you put the "Time Adjusted" back to the "Original Time" after changing the timezone?

Jun 6, 2020 8:38 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

Thanks for your help. Yes I was trying to convert the date and time to a different time zone. Clicking on the map works in most cases but simply choosing a city doesn't for some strange reason. I wish Apple could sort out these UX issues. I don't see why changing the city name should not be saved but clicking on it should.

Thanks in any case, this gives me a way to deal with my issues. Cheers,

Image > Adjust Date and Time > Closest City does NOT update the time zone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.