Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BT email on iPhone 5S

Up until 1 week ago I could access my BT email via the icon on my iPhone.

The error message says the email server mail.btinternet.com is not responding verify that you have entered the correct account info in mail settings. I have contacted BT and because my email works perfectly well on my laptop etc... they say that it is not their server that is the problem and must be a setting in my iPhone. I have check the password is correct I have deleted the account and added it again but I am still not able to access my email via the email icon - this is really inconvenient as many apps send emails to my bt email to enable me to access them - please can I ask if anyone can help me to sort this out

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 1:41 PM

Although these settings should have been applied automatically when you added the account, it might be worth checking them:

1. Tap Settings > Passwords & Accounts
  2. Tap your BT account
  3. Under IMAP, tap Account [example@btinternet.com]

Under "Incoming mail server" should be:

• Host Name: mail.btinternet.com
  • Username: [your full email address]
  • Password: [your password]

Then tap SMTP, and tap the primary server which should be mail.btinternet.com. You should have:

• Use SSL: on (green)
  • Authentication: Password
  • Server Port: 465

At the top left, tap Cancel and then < Account to go back. Now, at the bottom, tap Advanced. Scroll down and you should find:

• IMAP Path Prefix: /
  • Server Port: 993

If all this matches and it still doesn't work, I'd say the problem is at BT's end.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2020 1:41 PM in response to 9926TEM_

Although these settings should have been applied automatically when you added the account, it might be worth checking them:

1. Tap Settings > Passwords & Accounts
  2. Tap your BT account
  3. Under IMAP, tap Account [example@btinternet.com]

Under "Incoming mail server" should be:

Then tap SMTP, and tap the primary server which should be mail.btinternet.com. You should have:

• Server Port: 465

At the top left, tap Cancel and then < Account to go back. Now, at the bottom, tap Advanced. Scroll down and you should find:

• IMAP Path Prefix: /
  • Server Port: 993

If all this matches and it still doesn't work, I'd say the problem is at BT's end.

BT email on iPhone 5S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.