Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't "Choose" old iTunes music library

I can't "choose" on old iTunes library backup. it doesn't recognize the XML backup file which is how it backs up from the old version. I have 170K+ songs on an external drive. I've upgraded my Mac Pro to a new iMac. You can no longer just select "add this folder to the library" anymore.

How can I get my songs to come up???

HELP!

iMac Pro

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 4:56 AM

The XML version of the library can be imported via the menu option File > LIbrary > Import Playlist. The hold down option when starting iTunes method is meant to be used to pick an iTunes Library.itl file. Libraries initially created in older versions of iTunes on a Mac might not include the .itl extension for the library database file.

You should still be able to use File > Add to Library to add folders of content to iTunes.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 4:56 AM in response to TimMusic

The XML version of the library can be imported via the menu option File > LIbrary > Import Playlist. The hold down option when starting iTunes method is meant to be used to pick an iTunes Library.itl file. Libraries initially created in older versions of iTunes on a Mac might not include the .itl extension for the library database file.

You should still be able to use File > Add to Library to add folders of content to iTunes.

tt2

can't "Choose" old iTunes music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.