Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore from previous build

Hi - I rebuilt my iMac (late 2012 version) a while back, so I have a clean build of iTunes with a few imported CDs and some previously-purchased music. I also have on a Time Machine external drive, backups from my previous iMac build which has a much larger version of my previous iTunes library (100s of CDs). In that backup there is the Music folder, a sub-folder called iTunes Full and a sub-folder called Music. The iTunes Full folder seems to contain the full files needed for a full reconstruction of the music.

Which folders/files do I need to copy across from this backup to my current build? Current build is the 'new' non-iTunes version with the separate Music app.

Thanks for reading!

Andy

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 9:49 AM

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. Typically you would want the entire library folder containing an iTunes Library.itl file and the media folder with all of its media. You would then option-start-Music to open and convert the .itl file to the .musiclibrary format.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 31, 2022 3:45 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you this was very useful. I now have all music files in ~Music/Music/Media/<Artist Folder>/<Album Folder>/

In Music app, some are marked as 'can't be found' even though they are there, so I used your FixLinks script, highlighted the tracks in Music, ran the script but I get an error on each track that the script can't find it - I selected the Media folder as the starting point for the search when the script prompts.

The 'missing' tracks are in the correct Artist/Album folder and are of the format:

1-08 Alone Tonight.m4a

but for a whole album the script reports it can't find them.

Is it due to the 1- at the beginning (there is only one disc for this album)?

Thanks for your help!

Andy

Aug 31, 2022 6:52 AM in response to andy_j_corbett

Hi,

Yes, in general iTunes/Music only add a leading disk number if there is more than one disk or the disk number is greater than 1. Locate this line in the script:

if disc number of aTrack > 1 or disc count of aTrack > 1 then set theFile to (disc number of aTrack as text) & "-" & theFile

and edit it to this to look for tracks with an unexpected leading 1- in the filename.

if disc number of aTrack > 0 or disc count of aTrack > 1 then set theFile to (disc number of aTrack as text) & "-" & theFile

I.e. change the first 1 to a 0. I'm assuming tracks like this have disc number set to 1. Alternately you could use this instead:

set theFile to (disc number of aTrack as text) & "-" & theFile

Removing the conditional test. Or even:

set theFile to & "1-" & theFile

If the disc numbers in these problem tracks are completely missing for reasons...

tt2

Restore from previous build

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.