Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Music - restore music originally added from CDs via time machine backup

My iMac crashed and the Apple Genius suggested that I restore items from iCloud instead of Time Machine. Then, he suggested that I go to Time Machine backups and retrieve file by file to restore the data that I had. This worked well with some exceptions. One is Mac Music where it appears the items purchased through Apple work, but some songs on albums I had originally imported from CDs are "greyed out." Can I use the Time Machine backup to reimport all of the songs that are missing? If so, what is the process? I am on Ventura 13.2.1 and have iTunes Match.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 2:09 PM

See the 'If you have a Mac' section in:

Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC - Apple Support

"...when you back up your Mac, your media library is automatically included in that backup. When you set up a new Mac, you can also restore your Mac from a backup."

Also see the 'macOS 10.15 Catalina and later' section in:

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2023 2:09 PM in response to travelphotog89

See the 'If you have a Mac' section in:

Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC - Apple Support

"...when you back up your Mac, your media library is automatically included in that backup. When you set up a new Mac, you can also restore your Mac from a backup."

Also see the 'macOS 10.15 Catalina and later' section in:

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

Mac Music - restore music originally added from CDs via time machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.