Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac stuck macOS Catalina update error message

Can someone help my iMac asked me to restart to update Catalina and now it’s stuck with “an error has occurred installing macOS”

I need to have all my files intact so I don’t want to want to erase my disk how can I get pass this ?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 10:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 10:57 AM

Hello, EdricF.

I understand that you’ve encountered a hiccup when installing macOS Catalina. I understand how important retaining your files is and want to help.

Restarting your Mac will probably not result in data loss. Before doing that, I would say that if you have essential data that isn’t backed up, synced to iCloud or some other cloud service, you might seek out third-party data recovery before doing anything with your Mac. Please note that Apple Stores do not offer data recovery services.

Be Well.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2020 10:57 AM in response to EdricF

Hello, EdricF.

I understand that you’ve encountered a hiccup when installing macOS Catalina. I understand how important retaining your files is and want to help.

Restarting your Mac will probably not result in data loss. Before doing that, I would say that if you have essential data that isn’t backed up, synced to iCloud or some other cloud service, you might seek out third-party data recovery before doing anything with your Mac. Please note that Apple Stores do not offer data recovery services.

Be Well.

iMac stuck macOS Catalina update error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.