Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Superdrive reading DVD

Has anyone with a 2019 MacBook Pro (with OS Catalina 10.15.5) and Apple Superdrive encountered problems reading a commercially produced DVD? My Hyberdrive is USB-C, so it does provide peripheral power and is compatible. The DVDs are new, as in unused, commercially produced, educational DVDs.

Assistance would be most appreciated. Thank you.

😊

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 4:30 PM

I found another thread on the community site that supports using the Apple USB-C to USB adaptor. You DO HAVE to USE the APPLE brand of USB-C to USB for it to work. The SuperDrive is working great now.

Note for the community what would NOT work with the SuperDrive connected to the model 2019 16" MacBook. I was using a Hyper-Drive USB-C expansion dock with power. Note that the Hyper-Drive USB-C works great with powering my Seagate external drive for Time Machine backups and it charges my iPhone via the USB port. So it appears it will work fine with any other brand of accessory -- just not some of the Apple products that need power. Go figure...

Thank you LeroyDouglas for answering my call from the state of bewilderedness. I really needed these educational DVDs to work!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2020 4:30 PM in response to leroydouglas

I found another thread on the community site that supports using the Apple USB-C to USB adaptor. You DO HAVE to USE the APPLE brand of USB-C to USB for it to work. The SuperDrive is working great now.

Note for the community what would NOT work with the SuperDrive connected to the model 2019 16" MacBook. I was using a Hyper-Drive USB-C expansion dock with power. Note that the Hyper-Drive USB-C works great with powering my Seagate external drive for Time Machine backups and it charges my iPhone via the USB port. So it appears it will work fine with any other brand of accessory -- just not some of the Apple products that need power. Go figure...

Thank you LeroyDouglas for answering my call from the state of bewilderedness. I really needed these educational DVDs to work!

Jun 7, 2020 3:21 PM in response to Charmed-Im-Sure

Charmed-Im-Sure wrote:

re:

1.Apple Superdrive encountered problems reading a commercially produced DVD

2. LG DVD Write (& Read) at Best Buy, but it would only play a starting introduction portion of the DVD.

Sounds like the DVD set is bad or the adapter/hub is at fault.

I would try a direct connection with an Apple adapter as a test. USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Jun 7, 2020 7:52 AM in response to Charmed-Im-Sure

Charmed-Im-Sure wrote:

Has anyone with a 2019 MacBook Pro (with OS Catalina 10.15.5) and Apple Superdrive encountered problems reading a commercially produced DVD? My Hyberdrive is USB-C, so it does provide peripheral power and is compatible. The DVDs are new, as in unused, commercially produced, educational DVDs.

Assistance would be most appreciated. Thank you.
😊

Have you been able to test those DVD in another set up to verify their viability?

Jun 7, 2020 2:33 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi! Yes, I purchased an inexpensive LG DVD Write (& Read) at Best Buy, but it would only play a starting introduction portion of the DVD. It would not allow me to open the Menu or see or play the rest of the recorded information. This is a 3-DVD set. I tried two of the three with the same result. It displays and runs the credits and the introduction showing about 3 minutes of recorded data. Nothing else would play or display with the Apple DVD player app.

I was inquiring so as to find out if it was common to have these problems with the Apple SuperDrive so that I would know what to expect when it arrived.

Thank you for responding.

Superdrive reading DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.