Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Enable Full-size Thumbnail Previews of SVG Files in Finder

Hello community! In previous versions of macOS I had the possibility to view the full-size thumbnail of SVG files while opening the folder with svg files in Finder in icon view. It was possible if you had the Gapplin App installed.

In macOS Catalina I can't get that preview. Having this small-size thumbnail preview it is hard to look for an icon. Is there any way to fix it? Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

MacBook Pro 15″, 10.15

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 8:44 AM

13 replies

Jun 7, 2020 10:01 AM in response to Wladi4

Other than Safari, .svg artwork is not supported on macOS without helper applications present. Inkscape v1.0 (Mac native) is what I have established for my open with application on Mojave and Catalina. The .svg icons display nicely in Finder with this setting. The Affinity (Designer, Photo, Publisher) applications also support .svg.

On Catalina 10.15.5 (19F101):

They Quick Look nicely too.

Jun 7, 2020 10:29 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for the quick answer! Please, try to download any of these icons. Do you still have that full-sized thumbnails rendered from those icons? I guess that icons/svgs with defined dimensions would still look small even in your setting.

In previous versions of macOS I had exactly the same look you have for all kinds of svgs. On Windows you can install SVG Explorer Extension to get the result I pursue.

Jun 7, 2020 11:02 AM in response to Wladi4

Those site svg icons are 24px x 24px default svg (scaleable to 48px x 48px), and use the absolute minimum of svg standard, compared to the svg images that I shared earlier. The actual svg image is in the extreme upper left corner of the viewed svg icon in the FInder. I don't think this collection of svg artwork is intended to be seen as you prefer.

Jun 7, 2020 11:48 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you! I can achieve such a result just saving my icons as responsive (in Adobe Illustrator you can do it). But the point is that in earlier macOS versions I just downloaded icons like these and they were rendered full-size. Icon Manager apps can do it as well. For my job I need the icons to be the given width and height. Looking for a particular icon in a folder it is essential to have full-size thumbnails and I could do so in previous version of mac OS. In Catalina there is rendering problem. Why not just build in an option how I'd like the previews to be rendered..?

How to Enable Full-size Thumbnail Previews of SVG Files in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.