Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Restart not working

My MacBook Pro is running Catalina (10.15.2). When I select restart, the screen goes blank, but the keyboard remains lit and it doesn't seem to shutdown and then restart as I would expect even if I leave it for some time. I have to do a hard shutdown and then switch it on again.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 3:21 PM

What is a hand shutdown? Forced Shutdown where you push the power button down and keep it down till the MacBook Pro shuts off? If YES then, as you know, that is the worst way of shutting a computer down unless it is absolutely needed. If a computer is shutdown using this process repeatedly and often then it will create further shutdown and boot up issues as well.

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the shutdown issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Axel F.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 3:21 PM in response to Jon_Bowler_1970

What is a hand shutdown? Forced Shutdown where you push the power button down and keep it down till the MacBook Pro shuts off? If YES then, as you know, that is the worst way of shutting a computer down unless it is absolutely needed. If a computer is shutdown using this process repeatedly and often then it will create further shutdown and boot up issues as well.

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the shutdown issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Axel F.

Jun 7, 2020 3:51 PM in response to Jon_Bowler_1970

Jon_Bowler_1970 wrote:

My MacBook Pro is running Catalina (10.15.2). When I select restart, the screen goes blank, but the keyboard remains lit and it doesn't seem to shutdown and then restart as I would expect even if I leave it for some time. I have to do a hard shutdown and then switch it on again.

Any ideas?

If your Mac doesn't turn on

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204267

If your Mac doesn't start up all the way

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204156

If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207019

Macbook Pro Restart not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.