Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kid's Account, Ask to Buy, But why does it still require a Password for Downloads?

I just setup a Kid's Account for my two daughters. The accounts are setup to when they try to download an app it will send a notification to my wife and I to approve the app before it downloads. However, on their iPads, it is making them use a password. There's an option in the iTunes - Password Settings to turn off the "Require Password" for Free Downloads. But when I try to disable it, there's a pop-up that says, "You will be asked for a password for all downloads and purchases until you are over 13."

This defeats the whole purpose of the "Ask to Buy" feature. My daughter is going to have to come to me so I can enter the password, and then it will send my phone a notification to allow the download.

Why can't I just uncheck the "Require Password" for Free Downloads??? With the "Ask to Buy" feature, it won't download until I approve the app from my phone anyway.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 2:59 PM

Please note step 2 of the “How children or teens can make a request with Ask to Buy” here:

Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

Before a request is sent to you or your wife to approve the “purchase” (whether free or not), the child may be asked to enter her/his Apple ID and password. This may well be a simple identity check, of the type Apple often uses even for adults.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 2:59 PM in response to ItsJustaG2ME

Please note step 2 of the “How children or teens can make a request with Ask to Buy” here:

Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

Before a request is sent to you or your wife to approve the “purchase” (whether free or not), the child may be asked to enter her/his Apple ID and password. This may well be a simple identity check, of the type Apple often uses even for adults.

Kid's Account, Ask to Buy, But why does it still require a Password for Downloads?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.