Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XR purple blinking light

Hey, I’ve been having a lot of hardware issues with my iPhone XR since I’ve got it. But lately I’ve had this weird purple blinking light, which only acts up with a have my phone on it’s side. I’ve tried taking a screen shot hoping it wasn’t the screen itself but it didn’t appear on it so I’m thinking it’s a pixel maybe. Has anyone had this problem? Is it worth getting it fixed?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 5:38 PM

While most people are simply incapable of seeing what you see, I believe you are seeing the Infra Red (IR) True Depth camera on the front of your XR. There are people who can see it. I can't see it, but you evidently can. And another camera can capture IR light, which most human eyes can't see. It would be nothing to be concerned about and is a natural feature of your phone.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2020 5:38 PM in response to TheYMR21

While most people are simply incapable of seeing what you see, I believe you are seeing the Infra Red (IR) True Depth camera on the front of your XR. There are people who can see it. I can't see it, but you evidently can. And another camera can capture IR light, which most human eyes can't see. It would be nothing to be concerned about and is a natural feature of your phone.

iPhone XR purple blinking light

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.