Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My is not sharing location

“Find My” is only sharing my location when i am using the app and i would like it to always share my location regardless if the app is running or not. Please help!

Posted on Jun 7, 2020 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 9:20 AM

Hello beckett32

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. From what I am understanding is that you would like Find My to always share your location, as opposed to only when you've opened the app. Let's take a look into this!

While there's not an option to have the Find My app constantly track your location, it will determine your location as necessary when a friend that you've shared your location with attempts to locate you. You can view who you've shared your location with, as well as change the duration for which they're able to locate you in the Find My app.

"1. Open the Find My app and select the People tab.

2. Select Share My Location or Start Sharing Location.

3. Enter the name or phone number of the person you want to share your location with.

4. Select Send.

5. Choose to share your location for One Hour, Until End of Day, or Share Indefinitely.

6. Select OK.

When you share your location with someone, they have the option to share their location back."

Find friends and share your location with Find My

If you find that you've shared your location with someone, but that they aren't able to locate you unless you've opened the app, you might need to adjust the device from which you're sharing your location.

"To change the device that you're sharing your location from, open Find My on that device. Select the Me tab, then choose Use this [device] as My Location."

Cheers!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2020 9:20 AM in response to beckett32

Hello beckett32

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. From what I am understanding is that you would like Find My to always share your location, as opposed to only when you've opened the app. Let's take a look into this!

While there's not an option to have the Find My app constantly track your location, it will determine your location as necessary when a friend that you've shared your location with attempts to locate you. You can view who you've shared your location with, as well as change the duration for which they're able to locate you in the Find My app.

"1. Open the Find My app and select the People tab.

2. Select Share My Location or Start Sharing Location.

3. Enter the name or phone number of the person you want to share your location with.

4. Select Send.

5. Choose to share your location for One Hour, Until End of Day, or Share Indefinitely.

6. Select OK.

When you share your location with someone, they have the option to share their location back."

Find friends and share your location with Find My

If you find that you've shared your location with someone, but that they aren't able to locate you unless you've opened the app, you might need to adjust the device from which you're sharing your location.

"To change the device that you're sharing your location from, open Find My on that device. Select the Me tab, then choose Use this [device] as My Location."

Cheers!

Find My is not sharing location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.