Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Takes Ages to Perform First Backup

Following a previous problem with my 2TB Western Digital External Drive, I re-formatted the drive and wish to use it as my Time Machine for my Apple iMac, running High Sierra (Version 10.13.6).

I am trying to perform my first Time Machine Backup of 437.66GB, but although my Finder programme confirms that my Time Machine drive is doing so, it has not moved off the first 58MB for over three hours now and reports that it is "calculating time remaining"!

I understand that the first Time Machine Backup should take a long time, but how long is a 'long time' and what timescale should I expect this first backup to take?

Any help would be gratefully received

iMac Pro

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 11:00 PM

Thank you for your reply. I have attached a photograph of my External 2TB Drive to show you its size. It’s been backing up now for nearly 24 hours and still hasn’t gone past the 58Mb mark! Is this normal?

Similar questions

3 replies

Time Machine Takes Ages to Perform First Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.