Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with iMac Time Machine Backup

I have an iMac running Catalina and have been having issues with connecting to wi-fi so after a call with Apple Support I agreed to update to Ventura but before I do wanted to create a backup. I realised then that I had not done a backup since Oct - ok I know that's bad practice but I am where I am. However I have not made a lot of changes since then. The only thing adding space would be emails.

My time machine is a 1 TB disk split into 2 x 500 MB segments which I use for both my iMac and MacBook. There is 36GB available in the iMac segment.

When I try and run the back up it just sits there saying "Preparing Backup". I have left if for hours and there is not change and there are no error being created. I have started it and stopped it without success.

How do I find out what is going on and is there anything which I can do to make it complete. Is there enough space left to complete the backup.

Paul..

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 10:24 AM

How much free space do you have on your boot drive and on the TM drive?

I had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently had some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2023 10:24 AM in response to pfaepeebles

How much free space do you have on your boot drive and on the TM drive?

I had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently had some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Jan 28, 2023 2:31 AM in response to pfaepeebles

I left this running overnight and it has worked itself out and has completed the backup which is reassuring.

However, when I check for updates it is sitting their spinning showing Checking for Updates

It's been doing it for a few hours and I'm just going to leave it to see if it resolves itself

Is there anything which I can do to understand why it might be doing this.

Thanks

Issue with iMac Time Machine Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.