Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have been unable to perform a backup of my new iMac Desktop running OS Monterey version 12.4 to which I installed all prior iMac folders from a G Drive mini that is now not being recognized to do a external backup

The G DRIVE mini has not been successfully been able to perform a backup via Time Machine. I tried for 7-8 hours yesterday and I received messages via Time Machine that there is no room on the device and/or there is no information on the device despite the fact that I did the installation of my prior iMac to the new iMac OS Monterey using the G DRIVE mini. I did not delete anything from the G DRIVE mini on purpose. It has a 1TB storage capacity and is supposed to delete older back ups to make room for new back ups. The connection of the G DRIVE mini is done via FireWire. The device is available in the window from which to chose which disc to backup to in Time Machine preferences.

Thank you for any and all assistance in this matter.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 11:19 AM

How is the drive formatted and what OS was on the driver prior to updating to Monterey? I would suggest that the drive needs to be formatted to APFS to work smoothly with Monterey. I would also get a new drive that is not firewire. That is an old system and would work much faster with a USB3 or TB connection. Keep your old drive as backup until no longer needed and state a new TM backup with a new drive.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2022 11:19 AM in response to JLdraw

How is the drive formatted and what OS was on the driver prior to updating to Monterey? I would suggest that the drive needs to be formatted to APFS to work smoothly with Monterey. I would also get a new drive that is not firewire. That is an old system and would work much faster with a USB3 or TB connection. Keep your old drive as backup until no longer needed and state a new TM backup with a new drive.

Jun 6, 2022 1:00 PM in response to tbirdvet

Thank you, my older iMac is iOSx El Capitan 10.11.6.

I did purchase the GDrive at the Apple store and it is formatted for Mac users per the online GDrive website and uses HGST G-Technology.

My concern is that when attached to the new iMac the Time Machine information indicated there is no data on the device, no backup from the new iMac was completed despite being attached for many hours.

I am concerned to attach the device to my older iMac if this is the case that all data is gone from the device.

Thank you for any additional advice in this matter.

I have been unable to perform a backup of my new iMac Desktop running OS Monterey version 12.4 to which I installed all prior iMac folders from a G Drive mini that is now not being recognized to do a external backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.