Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup on a new disk is very very slow with Big Sur

Last week I bought a new external drive 8T USB-3, initialized for Time Machine with Big Sur on my MBP 15. I need to backup ~834GB. The first backup has started five days ago and is still running, ~130GB remaining. Why is it so slow?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 12:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 3:14 PM

hyperviper wrote:

USB-C. Notice that the first ~400GB required ~three hours. It seem to me that as the backup goes on it becomes slover. Also I suspect that the problem is related with the new APFS backup format.

It is not unusual for disk I/O to be faster on small transfers because the drive can buffer incoming data faster than it can be written. That might explain why you observed 400GByte/3 hours (~2GBytes/minute) but your short test achieved 1GByte in 5 seconds.

Check your cables (USB-x or ThunderBolt) and the data transfer rates claimed by the external disk for sustained transfers. Note that TB cables marketed by Apple are rated much faster than regular "USB-C" data cables supporting USB v4, and if you are using the USB-C charge cable supplied for charging a MacBook it might only achieve USB v2 data performance. About USB on Mac computers - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2020 3:14 PM in response to hyperviper

hyperviper wrote:

USB-C. Notice that the first ~400GB required ~three hours. It seem to me that as the backup goes on it becomes slover. Also I suspect that the problem is related with the new APFS backup format.

It is not unusual for disk I/O to be faster on small transfers because the drive can buffer incoming data faster than it can be written. That might explain why you observed 400GByte/3 hours (~2GBytes/minute) but your short test achieved 1GByte in 5 seconds.

Check your cables (USB-x or ThunderBolt) and the data transfer rates claimed by the external disk for sustained transfers. Note that TB cables marketed by Apple are rated much faster than regular "USB-C" data cables supporting USB v4, and if you are using the USB-C charge cable supplied for charging a MacBook it might only achieve USB v2 data performance. About USB on Mac computers - Apple Support

Dec 30, 2020 9:57 AM in response to Branta_uk

@Branta_uk, tnx for the pointer. I'm using a usb-c to usb-3 adapter from Amazon (USB 3.1 Gen 1 -> up to 5Gbps) and the external disk (WD MyBook) uses its own ps and its own usb-3 cable. My MBP is a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) with these ports:

Four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports with support for:

• Charging
  • DisplayPort
  • Thunderbolt (up to 40 Gbps)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)

In this moment it's stuck at 785.61GB by almost 2 hours, really odd.

BTW, it seems that I'm not alone in facing TM issues with Big Sur:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252044887?page=1

I'll wait for a fix.

Time Machine backup on a new disk is very very slow with Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.