Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Running MAC

How can I improve the speed of my Mac, I use only 300GB of the 1TB, I have optimized storage, but my computer still freezes and takes an extremely long time to open applications. I run bit defender and this has been an issue since the update to Catalina

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 1:26 PM

5 replies

Jul 2, 2020 11:57 AM in response to swanson208

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Jul 2, 2020 11:42 AM in response to swanson208

Unfortunately Bitdefender process BDLDaemon, uses, in some instances, 99.6% of your CPU resources. When it does, your computer is in pause... or bathing in the sun..

The same applies when you use TimeMachine the Backupd process may also allocate a very high volume of CPU resource.

So it is your choice.

If BD is removed and you have the same issues, you may want to consider running ÊtreCheck as a diagnostic. This tool may guide you with your challenges.

Jul 9, 2020 9:22 AM in response to swanson208

To add to BobtheFisherman's point.

I use(d) Bitdefender on 2 machines. One with Mojave and the other one with Catalina.

I have no issues with Mojave and the performance is not degraded by much.

I de-installed Bitdefender from the Catalina machine because the process BDLDaemon was using a monster of CPU resources and my system basically went onto a pause.. At this point I do not intend to re-install it with that OS.

I also use Time Machine over Ethernet to backup (to a Time Capsule) and found that the Backupd process had the same impact as BDLDaemon under Catalina. Under Mojave i was going wireless. I am now backing up up onto a USB HDD and it is much faster at least for the Mojave (45 minutes down to 10 minutes). I am re-installing it as a USB HDD on my Catalina System as we speak. So if you do use T M, you may as well have that degradation especially if use Time Machine for backups and it runs every hour

I have also upgraded my internal drives to a SSD, and maximized memory on both these systems.

Many areas you can improve. You can start to de-install Bitdefender completely and see the impact on your system performance.

Good luck.

Slow Running MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.