Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot log-in to 2017 macbook

I have updated Catalina and migrated data from my 2013 macbook air to a secondhand 2017 12 inch macbook this afternoon. There were a few issues with my apple ID needing to be re-entered several times, but I am now looking at the log-in screen and it won't accept the Name or Password. When I look on the MB Air, I can see that this computer is logged into apple ID, but cannot access anything. Any suggestions ? Do I need to reboot the whole disk ? Help please.

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 6:03 AM

This support document should help you reset the password:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/reset-your-mac-login-password-mh35902/mac

5 replies

Jun 9, 2020 1:06 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes, I know. Maybe I didn't explain myself - the macbook does not recognise my username or password. I know that I have both correct - partly because I can see the name of the macbook on the list of devices displayed on the Air which are logged into my apple id. I am not trying to put the apple id into the user login. I think the problem might be catalina.

Jun 9, 2020 3:56 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

The keyboard is set to English (UK). I do use a French keyboard occasionally but I still cannot gain access, even if I assume the underlying keyboard has changed its default setting. Can I bypass the log-in and reset the username/ password ? If so, how ? I have used this computer to conncet to email and the internet in the past week before the catalina upgrade, but it has nothing that cannot be deleted.

Cannot log-in to 2017 macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.