Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music from iPhone to Chromecast

Hello,

I appreciate from an official Apple Support page that it is possible to stream music from Apple Music to a Chromecast from an Android device.

Can you please confirm if this same functionality is available for Apple users? (Personally I own an iPhone and an iPad, but no Android devices)

Thank you

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 12:53 PM

I liked Apple Music service very much, nevertheless, I switched to Spotify only due to the reason Spotify allows me to cast my music to my Chromecast audio devices. I would love to switch back if Apple Music would allow the same..

40 replies

Mar 21, 2021 4:38 AM in response to yeltommo

I made the switch for the same reason. I reckon Google lost a massive chunk of their user/subscriber base to Apple when they decided to force a service onto people. It was the last straw for me after they killed Inbox and Google Reader. I’ve gone from solid Nexus/Pixel Google fanboy over the last decade or so to iPhone this year. I’m very happy with my decision.

Google’s failure to release a Pixel Watch also didn’t help as I’ve recently got an Apple Watch too. And Apples admittance that they need to include automation and shortcuts and pseudo-widgets on iOS to encourage android users over was bang on the money.

Sep 11, 2020 7:38 PM in response to antoniofromformia

I owned an Android and recently switched to an iOS device this week.

I appreciated that Apple Music had an Android app AND EVEN BETTER, the ability to cast to Chromecast.

I now lost this functionality and am debating if I should switch back. I don’t plan on ever owning an AirPlay-enabled device.

Just when you thought Apple was giving its users a little bit of freedom and ease with casting. :(

Jun 10, 2020 12:20 PM in response to antoniofromformia

Hi antoniofromformia,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you'd like to know if you can stream your Apple Music from your iPhone to your Chromecast device. I can help answer this.

Based on information found here Use Apple Music with your Android devices - Apple Support, you can stream songs in Apple Music to your Chromecast device via the Cast button within the Apple Music app. When it comes to using Apple Music on an iOS device, you will not see a Cast button. Instead, on your iOS device, you will see an AirPlay button. This will allow you to stream your Apple Music to an AirPlay-enabled speaker: How to AirPlay audio - Apple Support, and AirPlay system requirements - Apple Support. If your Chromecast device is not AirPlay-enabled, it may not work.

Best regards.

Mar 9, 2021 2:55 AM in response to antoniofromformia

Guys, it‘s in fact POSSIBLE to play Apple Music (single person-subscription) a Google Chromecast (2.Gen) with IOS(14.4). BUT it has one very major downside: You cannot directly control, what‘s playing. But it seems some kind of influenced by own playlists.

What did I do:

First link your Apple Music-account with the chromecast in Google Home App.

After this in the app main-menu go to media (green button). The should be the app-sign of Apple Music there (in my case, it‘s the only one. At least, choose the device you want to listen to and it should automatically play.

Personally I think the Chromecast itself bypass IOS and streaming directly to Apple Music via Wlan. This is why it‘s possible to control volume and kinds of playing but not the exactly title that is played

Sep 26, 2020 9:10 AM in response to antoniofromformia

Same frustration. Why would this be developed and enabled by Apple on the Android platform, but not their own products?

There is NOT a plethora of Airplay devices available, so we must use Google Home or Alexa devices.

I like Apple Music because it’s free with my cellular service, but will switch to an Android tablet for my home music controls now.

Oct 21, 2020 8:25 PM in response to ondduu

Not particularly helpful.

I use Apple Music, as the subscription is included with my cell plan and it just so happens to be very convenient to quickly find a new song I like, and add it to my library.

If high quality was my concern, I wouldn’t be streaming over Google Home’s & Mini’s. The stream quality difference between various services on these devices will not be notices by even the most discerning ear.

UX - that’s your opinion. I’m perfectly fine with the Apple Music UX, only thing that stinks is inability to cast from iOS devices.

Oct 24, 2020 8:24 AM in response to Phempa

Streaming via Chromecast isn’t always about streaming to Google Home or Mini devices. I’d like to stream from my iPad Pro to my Sony z9f sound bar - but can’t (with the Apple Music app). Yet, oddly, I can from my Samsung android phone. I’ve been considering a return to iPhone for a change, and now it seems like I’d lose some functionality I already have with an Apple app. I guess the bottom line is to just not use Apple Music (a shame when it’s included in a plan like someone else mentioned).

Dec 27, 2020 4:08 PM in response to blandrews

No dude. The original question was can you use Apple Music with Chromecast. The simple answer is yes you can... IF you have an Apple Music paid subscription. You have to subscribe to link Apple Music with Google. If not you're SOL. The point people are trying to make here is that Apple and Google don't talk to each other unless you shell out more money. I can cast all sorts of video and audio using Chromecast without paying any extra money in terms of subscriptions. But Apple Music has supplanted iTunes on IOS devices and if you want to play you have to pay. I can Cast my iTunes library to the TV (or in my case to my receiver) using YouTube Music, but even that app is relentless in popping up notifications to subscribe.

Apple Music from iPhone to Chromecast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.