Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3 adapters for Thunderbolt 2 ports in Mac Pro late 2013?

The Mac Pro late 2013 has six Thunderbolt 2 ports and four USB 3 ports. I have no devices that need Thunderbolt 2 ports and lots of devices that need USB ports. But I cannot find a simple way to adapt a Thunderbolt 2 into a USB. There are some expensive docks out there but most have bad reviews or are out of stock indefinitely or both. I could probably just make do with a USB 3 dock plugged into a USB 3 port, but even those have problematic reviews and high prices. Any suggestions?

Two of the USB 3 ports are permanently occupied by the mouse and the keyboard. One has the backup external drive. That leaves one USB port for anything else. I have noticed that it is becoming unreliable for an external hard drive through years of getting plugged into and unplugged. Is there another way to connect the mouse and keyboard? I imagine they don't need a super fast connection.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 2:08 AM

9 replies

Jun 10, 2020 12:48 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks again, BDAqua and Grant. I had never paid any attention to the two USB ports in the wired keyboard. Now my classic A1152 mouse is happily drawing power from the keyboard. I have a stack of these that I bought used on eBay. Most die by strain on the cord insertion point.

I use one USB port for all sorts of devices, and the only devices that have had difficulty with it are the external hard drives (4T and 6T). For these, I have to switch ports. Now I bought enough port life to outlive the useful life of the late 2013, or the owner.

USB 3 adapters for Thunderbolt 2 ports in Mac Pro late 2013?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.