Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Video Portion of Clip for iMovie

I’ve been editing an iMovie, using short video clips (which have been working). Today, when I opened the project to put some finishing touches on it the video portion of 2 clips is missing. I can hear the people speaking, but the screen is black. And, the transitions I had added are also showing as “there” but not responding at all.

I have the video clips saved in another file. I deleted the 2 clips that weren’t working and re-loaded them, like they were “new” clips for my movie. They play fine on their own. But, even when I reload them to iMovie now the video portion isn’t coming up.

iMac Pro

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 12:46 PM

Likely the clips just need to be re-encoded.

Try exporting the two clips to your Mac desktop and then use the free download Handbrake to convert the clip to H.264, Mp4/AAC. Then import the converted clip into iMovie. It should work fine. You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

You can also try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy of the media in tour project, and then Edit/Paste the media into a newly created project. See if it plays O.K. there.

— Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2020 12:46 PM in response to Jcwbeaton

Likely the clips just need to be re-encoded.

Try exporting the two clips to your Mac desktop and then use the free download Handbrake to convert the clip to H.264, Mp4/AAC. Then import the converted clip into iMovie. It should work fine. You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

You can also try doing an Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy of the media in tour project, and then Edit/Paste the media into a newly created project. See if it plays O.K. there.

— Rich

Missing Video Portion of Clip for iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.