Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location tracking on Apple Watch 4

Hardware is IPhone 6s with Apple Watch 4. All updates current.

Situation is the option "Apple Watch Fitness Tracker' does not appear under Location Services option on Phone.

Results in this problem: As I have seen on other posts, the Fitness Tracker no longer records the map of outdoor walks, runs, etc. It's notable this functionality worked last summer, and now that I am back outside it's quit.

All solutions indicate I need to turn on the "Apple Watch Fitness Tab' on the phone under Location services however that is nowhere to be found -- it simply doesn't exist.

Clearly this is a fault in that arose in one of the updates since last summer -- and I can't find a straight answer anywhere on the Internet of Apple posts.

Also please note my wife's Apple Watch 3 and IPhone 6s work fine -- she shows the map in fitness tracker for the exact same route we take at current time.

Where's the hitch in the Operating System causing this?

Apple Watch

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 7:12 AM

Hi Jersey!

so I managed to find a fix online. I had to unpair my Apple Watch and then pair it back up. Once I did this, “Apple Watch Workout” finally appeared in location services which brought the map and weather function back onto my workouts. So far the map function has stayed there and everything is working as it should

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2020 7:12 AM in response to jerseyDoug

Hi Jersey!

so I managed to find a fix online. I had to unpair my Apple Watch and then pair it back up. Once I did this, “Apple Watch Workout” finally appeared in location services which brought the map and weather function back onto my workouts. So far the map function has stayed there and everything is working as it should

Jun 9, 2020 11:10 AM in response to jerseyDoug

Firstly check these settings;

To see the map, you must turn on route tracking. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services,turn location services on then tap Apple Watch Workout, then tap While Using the App.

Then tap on maps then tap While using the app.

Then tap on System Services and turn on motion calibration and distance.

Another place to check is on the watch in settings/privacy/Location Services and make sure this is turned on and scroll down to apple watch workout and select while using the app.

Jun 10, 2020 5:28 AM in response to Sanaan3241hdhd

We're a small sample of what I think are a fair number of users who are completely hung up.

Apple are you listening? This is clearly a bug that came up in one of the either WatchOS or IoS updates since last summer (as this functionality worked fine through August 2019 -- proving it's not a hardware issue).

My next step is to try and contact Apple via chat (good luck for me). If I get an effective response I will post.

Thanks for affirming this isn't an isolated issue.

Jun 10, 2020 6:12 AM in response to jerseyDoug

Ok this is getting to be why Apple is fading as a top-line provider of services.

Was lucky enough to get through to a live person. Was told to install latest version of ioS for the phone (13.5.1) and that should solve the problem. If not then contact Apple support for further assistance.

Guess what? That did not solve the problem and now getting the 'Apple support services are limited at this time' brick wall so no way to follow up.

Tim Cook are you listening? Stop throwing incompletely tested WatchOS and Phone OS versions out there and then letting the users be your final testing group -- especially when you whack Customer Support levels. Brand loyalty only goes so far in consumer goods -- and with me they are testing the limits.

Location tracking on Apple Watch 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.