Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone XR will often not ring

My iPhone XR will often not ring. I can have the phone in my hand, it does not vibrate or ring, but I will get a message that I missed a call. I have checked the mute switch, do not control the volume with side button, do not have any "special" ring tones, etc. If I power down it will ring again. But I should not have to do this each and every day.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 4:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 5:02 PM

Hi susanfromsugarland,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having trouble with your iPhone not ringing. I’m happy to help.

To start, make sure you’re running the latest iOS version:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then, make sure you don’t have Do Not Disturb or Silence Unknown Callers enabled:

Detect and block spam phone calls - Apple Support

Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If the above does not resolve your issue, I suggest reinstalling iOS. While this shouldn’t remove any information from your iPhone, it’s a good idea to have a backup handy:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

To reinstall iOS, follow the steps in the article below, under the section labeled “Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again”:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Best Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2020 5:02 PM in response to susanfromsugarland

Hi susanfromsugarland,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having trouble with your iPhone not ringing. I’m happy to help.

To start, make sure you’re running the latest iOS version:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then, make sure you don’t have Do Not Disturb or Silence Unknown Callers enabled:

Detect and block spam phone calls - Apple Support

Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If the above does not resolve your issue, I suggest reinstalling iOS. While this shouldn’t remove any information from your iPhone, it’s a good idea to have a backup handy:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

To reinstall iOS, follow the steps in the article below, under the section labeled “Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again”:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Best Regards.

My iPhone XR will often not ring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.