Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to use old Firewire 400 iSight Camera with new iMac?

I have an iSight Camera with Firewire 400 connections bought many years ago. I now have a new iMac with USB3, thunderbolt 3(USB-C), and DisplayPort connection ports. Rather than using the built in camera, is there a way via connectors to use the iSight with the iMac? I have seen simple "adaptors" advertised, and have also read why these will not work due to significant differences between Firewire 400 and USB data transfer. I do not really "need" to do this, but thought it might be useful if possible. Thanks!!

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply
7 replies

Jun 9, 2020 8:08 PM in response to rkaufmann87

As I mentioned above, I have an iSight on hand. The specific reason is that I play a very small bagpipe from the 18th century, Northumbrian smallpipes. We have had to cancel our October annual workshop in the UK due to Covid-19, but will most likely do a bit of ZOOMing. The iMac builtin camera will not provide the angle needed for the tutor in England to see the position of my drones, fingers, etc. in the wilds of Idaho. Hence, an external camera which can be better aimed would be nice. I know of course that I can buy a new one with all the right connections. But, being a bit Scottish, albeit playing an English pipe, I like to save money where possible. Now, you probably have way more info than what you wanted :-). My guess is that it is time to retire the iSight to a museum, but it is such a nifty little gadget. Cheers.

Jun 10, 2020 2:40 AM in response to bobio

Since the iSight camera needs power over FireWire, it probably won't work with just adapters. It should work with the OWC 13 port Thunderbolt 3 dock.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB3DK13PSG/

They are no longer being manufactured, but some are still available.

You will still need the FW800 to FW 400 adapter.

https://www.elago.com/firewire/firewire-400-to-800-adapter-white

Is it possible to use old Firewire 400 iSight Camera with new iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.