Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disabling macOS Application Window Clipping In A Dual-Monitor ("Picture-by-Picture") Configuration

I have a late-2013 Mac Pro (black cylinder) with dual AMD D500 graphics cards connected to a Samsung 49" CRG9 Dual QHD Curved QLED Monitor (resolution is 5,120 x 1,440) via two mini Display Port to Display Port cables, one to each of the monitor's Display Port ports. The monitor is configured for "Picture-by-Picture," so the "two monitors" are actually side-by-side on the one ridiculously wide monitor screen. Works and looks phenominal!

Is there a setting in macOS that can disable the clipping of application windows at the shared edge between "monitors" in this kind of setup? If there isn't, since we're now seeing these insanely wide monitor coming out, it would make the user experience in macOS better if it were possible. On older systems with older dual graphics cards, which are definitely still technically capable of driving monitors like this, a feature like that can keep me happy about the investment I made in this expensive computer.

Mac Pro

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 6:57 PM

I figured it out. Remove the check on one simple checkbox in System Preferences > Mission Control : "Displays have separate Spaces"

When you logout and back in or restart, windows will now cross the shared edge between "Spaces" (or desktops on different monitors).

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 10, 2020 7:15 PM in response to Barney-15E

"Picture-by-Picture" is a feature of the Samsung CRG9 monitor.

I'm not sure the statement was contradictory. It was just unclear. My apologies. I put "two monitors" in quotes to denote two virtual monitors on the one ridiculously wide physical screen.

For clarity, the 49" CRG9 monitor has a feature that allows you to plug two different sources into the ports in the back of the monitor. Settings on the monitor then allow you to choose which two sources are displayed side-by-side on the physical display. You can also choose (shown in the photo above) a 50%/50% split between the two, or a combination of 11:9/21:9 or 21:9/11:9. It's pretty slick, especially once you figure out that checkbox that you mentioned and I eventually stumbled onto.

Thank you for responding!

Jun 10, 2020 11:14 AM in response to AZWebDev

Is "Picture-by-Picture" a setting on the monitors?

I can't tell if you have Displays have separate spaces set or not based on this contradictory statement.

so the "two monitors" are actually side-by-side on the one ridiculously wide monitor screen. Works and looks phenominal!

Are there two displays or one "ridiculously wide monitor."

With Displays have separate spaces set in Mission Control System Preferences, you will have two separate displays.

If you disable that, you will actually have "one ridiculously wide screen."

Disabling macOS Application Window Clipping In A Dual-Monitor ("Picture-by-Picture") Configuration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.