Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage splits one contact into two message threads

I have an iPhone XR that I haven’t had any issues with. Today, it died so I plugged it in. Once it was recharged, I got two messages from a contact. I haven’t had this issue before, and both messages were sent from the same device (his iPhone 11.) However, my phone somehow split the conversation into two threads: one with his messages and all of our old messages that I could not send anything to him in, and another which didn’t contain our old messages and I could send texts to him, but all of the received messages would go to the other thread. I have no clue what happened or how to fix this, it’s super annoying to have to exit one thread with his message so I can then reply. Can anyone help me with this?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 12:54 PM

I had this issue before where I had a contact saved in my contacts twice, once with their phone number and once with their email only. I was able to send messages to either contact but it would show up as a different thread because they were two separate contacts. Hope this makes sense. Check your contact list for duplicate entries.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2020 12:54 PM in response to brie129

I had this issue before where I had a contact saved in my contacts twice, once with their phone number and once with their email only. I was able to send messages to either contact but it would show up as a different thread because they were two separate contacts. Hope this makes sense. Check your contact list for duplicate entries.

iMessage splits one contact into two message threads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.