Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help me recover my data on my iphone XR

Hello!

This is related to my iPhone XR 128GB

I have not backed my iPhone XR with itunes since I purchased

I have not subscribed for icloud backup

I have not done software update on my phone (not sure which exact version of OS it was running)

My iPhone gave me a message "Storage is full"

So deleted unwanted apps and videos and made a space of around 2GB

But the iPhone started slowing down. So went into general and shut down the phone

Next thing when I tried to start the phone, it gave me 'Hello' screen and a message 'connect to itunes'

So tried connecting to my itunes in mac (went into a different issue of icloud password prompt loop). But meanwhile the photos app opened up and it showed all my photos up to date. Still did not import them.

So downloaded the latest version of itunes on my windows surface pro. Tried connecting my phone with itunes and clicked on update. but it failed to update due to 4010 (later came to know it was due to windows firewalls) So disabled the firewalls and tried to update, it again said update failed and you may need to restore.

What I understood was the phone is trying to update to iOS 13.5.1 but there is not enough storage on the phone.

Right now the phone is in recovery mode. (Gives the prompt of connect to itunes with the path to restore on top)

Please suggest me if we can stop the update to get access to the pictures / videos on the iphone.

What are my chances of having the data in there. Whom should I contact right now.

Thank you for your patience

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2020 4:00 PM

PlsHelpRecoverData wrote:

I have not backed my iPhone XR with itunes since I purchased
I have not subscribed for icloud backup

Your iPhone has started Recovery mode. Therefore your data is gone.

Lesson: If your data is important, it needs to be backed up.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 10, 2020 4:00 PM in response to PlsHelpRecoverData

If the phone is stuck in Recovery mode, when prompted choose the option to "Update" and do NOT choose "Restore". This should force the update to install and should also, in theory, leave your data intact. Though, if this fails, then you have no choice other than to restore your iPhone, which will also delete any data from it. As for recovery, you can look into dedicated recovery services such as Drive Savers, because data recovery is not a service that Apple offers.

Jun 11, 2020 6:06 PM in response to PlsHelpRecoverData

Drive savers can not do anything until the device is out of recovery mode and bootable to iOS. All drive savers offers is to recover accidentally deleted files from a normal operating device, or a device with a non-functional display but which otherwise boots and operates normally. With the device in recovery mode, there is no way to decrypt the encrypted data on it, so nothing could be recovered.

The only way to recover decrypted, human readable data from an iphone with Secure Enclave encryption is to have it boot normally first. The decrypt keys would the be generated by the action of unlocking the display with your password (which is why your actual password is required after every restart, before even touchID or FaceID can be used again).

So without a backup already in hand, you’re going to lose data as your only option now is to restore that device, erasing all data from it in the process.

Please help me recover my data on my iphone XR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.