Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no smart quotes (curly quotes) and apostrophes in gmail

Since updating my iMac to 10.15.5 (19F101), I can no longer get smart quotes (aka curly quotes) or apostrophes when typing Gmail messages on my Mac. It doesn’t seem to matter whether I turn on the “use smart quotes and dashes” choice in System Preferences (keyboard > text) or turn it off. I can almost locate to the date of the software upgrade when all my quotes became inch marks and all my apostrophes became foot marks. Ugh.

This only seems to affect Gmail (although I haven’t tested Google Docs). My Yahoo still behaves, but I cannot use it for this particular account.

Can’t seem to find a way to fix this. I’ve done numerous online searches to no avail. I’ve tried working in Chrome rather than Safari. Didn’t matter.

Any suggestions?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 10:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 4:41 AM

In Safari, there is Edit menu : Substitutions : √ Smart Quotes which "hand-shakes" with the System Preferences : Keyboard setting. If in a local GMail application, is it the most recent version, or does it need updated for Catalina?

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 13, 2020 1:51 PM in response to VikingOSX

Well, I give up. (Sort of.) (For now.) Erg.

No matter what I do, I get straight foot marks and inch marks instead of smart (aka curly or typographer) quotes and apostrophes when I use Safari or Firefox. For a minute, it looked like the text was going to behave in Chrome, but it’s wonky there as well. It gives me correct curly left-facing quotes at the beginning (yay!), but then the second set — the end quotes — turn the wrong way — whether they are double or single. And the apostrophe is a straight foot mark.

Tried Google Help (regular and community), but it was no help at all. Surely this is happening to other people and driving them crazy, too.

Many thanks for your assistance, though. I’ll keep checking back here in case you or some other savvy person figures out what’s going on.

Jun 13, 2020 5:51 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you, Tom. You are a genius — as well as a gentleman and a scholar. If only Google were as responsive and helpful.

I’m willing to do option [ ] and option shift [ ] until Google makes a fix. Make that, IF Google makes a fix. (What I really want to know is why is no one else pulling their hair out over this???)

And I’ll work on the text substitution thing … not something I’ve done before. But, even being right-brained and old as dirt, I will figure it out.

no smart quotes (curly quotes) and apostrophes in gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.