Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spelling check stopped working in Notes, Safari and Mail

Hi, so suddenly on my macbook pro, spelling check stopped working in Mail, Safari and Notes, no matter what I try, the settings of grammar and spelling as follows :

• Mail : Edit > Spelling and Grammar >Check Spelling while typing is checked ,Check Grammar with Spelling is checked, Correct Spelling Automatically is checked.
  • Notes : only if I select "Show spelling and grammar" and click to start finding them one by one, only then the red line shows up under the mistyped words, and I can't select check while typing it doesn't show check sign next to it, however if clicked (although no check sign shows) whatever red lines created using "show spelling and grammar" disappear.

It still works while using Pages, Keynote or Google Chrome. I have updated my OS since and now running 12.4 but it still is the same, I have noticed the issue -not sure if related- after I have uninstalled Mailbutler.

I tried everything I can think of, any ideas? it is really hard to copy/paste every email to pages just to check the spelling.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 15, 2022 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2022 7:16 AM

Hardabasht wrote:

• Hi, so suddenly on my macbook pro, spelling check stopped working in Mail, Safari and Notes, no matter what I try, the settings of grammar and spelling as follows :
Mail : Edit > Spelling and Grammar >Check Spelling while typing is checked ,Check Grammar with Spelling is checked, Correct Spelling Automatically is checked.
• Notes : only if I select "Show spelling and grammar" and click to start finding them one by one, only then the red line shows up under the mistyped words, and I can't select check while typing it doesn't show check sign next to it, however if clicked (although no check sign shows) whatever red lines created using "show spelling and grammar" disappear.

It still works while using Pages, Keynote or Google Chrome. I have updated my OS since and now running 12.4 but it still is the same, I have noticed the issue -not sure if related- after I have uninstalled Mailbutler.

I tried everything I can think of, any ideas? it is really hard to copy/paste every email to pages just to check the spelling.

Reference—

Check spelling and grammar on Mac - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2022 7:16 AM in response to Hardabasht

Hardabasht wrote:

• Hi, so suddenly on my macbook pro, spelling check stopped working in Mail, Safari and Notes, no matter what I try, the settings of grammar and spelling as follows :
Mail : Edit > Spelling and Grammar >Check Spelling while typing is checked ,Check Grammar with Spelling is checked, Correct Spelling Automatically is checked.

Reference—

Check spelling and grammar on Mac - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

spelling check stopped working in Notes, Safari and Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.