Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud for Windows Keeps Prompting for Login Password in Windows 10

After Apple Software Update ("ASU") installed a new version of iCloud for Windows in May on my PC, I was plagued with the updated iCloud for Windows requesting my Apple password every 20 minutes, complete with a requirement for submittal of a unique 2 factor authentication code from Apple each time. Well, props to AndreFernan (another Apple Community member) and his suggestion in an earlier related thread on this topic to download and install a specific prior version of iCloud for Windows and then switch off ASU's automatic update function. (His post lists the website and version to do so.)

His suggestion worked, and even avoided the "Unknown Error" message I was getting each time I initially submitted my password. The only wrinkle I would add to his workaround is to set iCloud for Windows program compatibility for to Windows 7, and make sure you are running it as an administrator. Thanks again, and good luck to everyone still experiencing this issue!

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 4:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 4:44 AM

Here's the website for downloading the prior iCloud for Windows version: https://www.downloadcrew.com/article/25317-icloud_control_panel_for_windows

1 reply

iCloud for Windows Keeps Prompting for Login Password in Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.