Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon and Catalina

I have an old but trusty Canon MG5350 and when I connected it to my new iMac running Catalina, it automatically updated the driver. So Apple must be providing support for these printers.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 10:58 AM

12 replies

Jun 14, 2020 3:57 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Sorry - I should have explained the whole situation.

I recently discovered that Canon no longer support Macs, since Mojave and now Catalina. As I was concerned as to whether my Canon MG 5350 would work on Catalina, I investigated and discovered that Apple have been providing driver software for Canon printers for some time, including - as you said - air print.

However, the Canon software for all the Canon manuals will not now run on Mojave or Catalina. So I am trying to find a way of downloading a manual for my Canon MG 5350. I did try your link, for which I thank you for your trouble, but it would no open on Catalina.

I hope that fully explains my situation, but should you require further clarification, please ask, and I will do my best to explain further.

Jun 14, 2020 4:08 AM in response to sunnyjohn

You don’t need software to download a manual for your printer: just click on the link or copy the link and paste it in your browser. Then click on the download-button and the manual will be available in your download-folder

You also don’t need software to use airprint: just follow the instructions to use airprint on your mac https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/apple_airprint_guide/

Jun 14, 2020 4:18 AM in response to mulberry58

Thanks again, ria.

I did that, clicked on the download button and my browser downloaded the dmg file. I clicked on the dmg. file and it opened to give me the download package. I clicked on the download package and it downloaded, then immediately came up with the message to say that it cannot be run on this OS.

I am sure that we will get there in the end - I'm a patient person.

Jun 14, 2020 4:51 AM in response to sunnyjohn

Yes Canon have been really stupid in this, Your printer was only supported up to and including macOS High Sierra.

Now the link that I posted will download a .dmg, which when opened become a .pkg, which you in turn

open to get an installation window, which will fail if you try to do it on Mojave and Catalina.

This is not your ordinary pdf manual it downloads but an actual Application that gets installed in your Applications folder,

and its distribution file only allows it to install on macOS's up to High Sierra. I guess Canon thought as they were not going to support the printer in Mojave or Catalina there was no point making the on screen manual application available for Mojave or

Catalina users.

do you have an older mac running an older OS like El Capitan, sierra or High sierra, you could try the link again and install the manual on that mac.

Search the internet for any manuals on line that you can download, I have tried but there does not seem to be a full operations manual pdf available, probably because Canon provided the manual as an app.

Jun 14, 2020 4:57 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Good point. My wife has a Mac and is running Mojave. I'm running Catalina but am tempted to downgrade to Mojave, but not older. So I think I'll just have to live without the manual. Fortunately, there is a superb site which can answer pretty well any question about printers, here:

https://www.printerknowledge.com/

Highly recommended - they are a nice bunch and have often gone to great rouble to answer my queries.

Canon and Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.