Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to make a Mac Mini (2007) still usable?

Hi everyone,

I recently took out my old Mac Mini 2007 (2Ghz), plugged it and tried to make it work but I am experiencing quite a few issues. I performed a complete installation of OS X 10.5.8 with the 2 original CDs but Safari does not load 80% of the pages, even this one I am writing on (I am currently on my MBP with OS X 10.15.4) hence I cannot even try to download other browsers. Mail is continuously displaying a error message while configuring a simple gmail account. I just need the computer at my mom's to let her use the non wi-fi printer she has, surf the web, send / receive email, play some music while she cooks (we're from Italy, you know). Nothing too complicated.

Anyone can help me solve the problems with Safari and mail? I am no expert.

Thanks in advance to you all.

M.

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 6:56 PM

If the Mini has 4GB of RAM (3GB may work -- barely) then you could install Linux on it which would give you an up to date OS with access to the current versions of Firefox, Google Chrome, and Vivaldi plus access to the Mozilla ThunderBird email app and LibreOffice. Kubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, and Linux Mint should be easy to install and work on a Mac.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2020 6:56 PM in response to Marcocala

If the Mini has 4GB of RAM (3GB may work -- barely) then you could install Linux on it which would give you an up to date OS with access to the current versions of Firefox, Google Chrome, and Vivaldi plus access to the Mozilla ThunderBird email app and LibreOffice. Kubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, and Linux Mint should be easy to install and work on a Mac.

Jun 16, 2020 1:13 AM in response to Marcocala

I have used TenFourFox on my PPC PowerBook G4 from 2004 running OS X 10.5.8 for light browsing and gmail and an old version of LibreOffice.

Your Mac mini has an Intel CPU so search for a browser for that.

A few years ago I tested several Linux variants (AFAIR Mint was one of them) on that PowerBook but it felt no faster and the user experience was not so great so I reinstalled OS X 10.5.8.

Is there a way to make a Mac Mini (2007) still usable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.