Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad mail sends using iCloud account, however, the user name is wrong

When I send mail from my iPad, it uses my iCloud account but the name inserted is not the name that is registered with my iCloud account. I have checked my iCloud account, my contacts, and the name is not listed. However, if I do user search it shows up and say “Siri found in mail”. How do I correct this ?

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 6:58 PM

ACCW-Boss wrote:

All of the iPad are logged into the same iCloud account.

I would hate have to erase this tablet. In fact, that would be a shame and a weakness in the architecture of iOS. We do erase the tablet when an employee leaves or is terminated.

Thanks for this explanation.

The proper way to handle this is not to share or reuse an Apple ID. Instead your business should use Mobile Device Management (MDM) as described here.

Get started using Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager with Mobile Device Management - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2020 6:58 PM in response to ACCW-Boss

ACCW-Boss wrote:

All of the iPad are logged into the same iCloud account.

I would hate have to erase this tablet. In fact, that would be a shame and a weakness in the architecture of iOS. We do erase the tablet when an employee leaves or is terminated.

Thanks for this explanation.

The proper way to handle this is not to share or reuse an Apple ID. Instead your business should use Mobile Device Management (MDM) as described here.

Get started using Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager with Mobile Device Management - Apple Support

Jun 14, 2020 5:24 PM in response to ACCW-Boss

ACCW-Boss wrote:

The name that is listed in outgoing emails is Allen W. And my iCloud email. I am Kenneth N.

Obviously these two names are very different. How do you speculate the wrong name shows up? Might, for example, this iPad have been previously used by someone else and not thoroughly cleansed?

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jun 15, 2020 8:01 PM in response to ACCW-Boss

Well I manage Apple devices for a living and use ABM every single day. I can 100% tell you with absolute certainty that I would be willing to bet my life on that it is 100% free. There are many different MDM platforms out there ranging from free for up to 10 devices to $8+/device. Jamf Now is free for up to 3 devices, Fleetsmith is free for up to 10 devices, and Mosyle is $1/device/month. MDM is not required however. You can do almost everything (albeit not remotely) using Apple Configurator. You can also purchase apps centrally and assign the codes to users or using Apple Configurator, you can assign to the device. You can find out more at www.apple.com/business. If you have more questions about managing devices using ABM + any of the methods mentioned above (MDM, Apple Configurator, or no management) we’re happy to answer. We just can’t support using a single Apple ID the way you have been due to terms of service.

Jun 14, 2020 6:30 PM in response to sberman

This iPad belongs to my company, AC Cooling Wizard, All of the iPad are logged into the same iCloud account. This allows us to share the industry specific applications we use. Additionally it ensure the information about customers and services performed and shared to all devices. Now, Allen W. Was a technician with more Apple iOS knowledge than our normal technicians. He changed the iCloud name from Kenneth N., to ALlen W. Now, this took effect on all tablets including mine and I saw the change. I immediately changed it back. However, on the tablet Allen was assigned, it persist despite showing Kenneth N. As the name in iCloud when checked from this tablet. I am using the tablet that was used by Allen.

Kenneth N.

[Email Edited by Moderator]

Jun 14, 2020 8:27 PM in response to sberman

Personally, I refuse to pay Apple a monthly fee to manage my devices when it quite simply can be, and has been done by me for the last three years. Frankly, if Apple wants to encourage business and education organizations to adopt and use Apple products, they should offer Apple Business Manager at zero cost. Sorry, but NO Thank you. Ow, back to the issue I am having, now and where do I remove the incorrect user name?

Kenneth

iPad mail sends using iCloud account, however, the user name is wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.