Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

high cpu usage

My Macbook Air's fan was very noisey so I ran etrecheck. The result was that mds_stores is using high cpu.

Please help as I don't know what to do. I have attached the report.

. Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 8:53 PM

The mds process is Spotlight performing indexing. When it is running it uses a lot of CPU time. It seems to be using too much processor time. This could be caused by other software causing a lot of file changes that are causing Spotlight to continuously re-index.

Improve the computer's performance by uninstalling the Trend Micro anti-malware software. It is not needed. You have 32-bit software installed. Catalina does not run 32-bit software, so you should remove it or replace it with 64-bit upgrades. To find and remove 32-bit software use Go64.

You may consider reducing the number of concurrently running software because you are getting a bit low on available free RAM, and starting to use virtual RAM which can slow down the computer.

u

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2020 8:53 PM in response to susanamac

The mds process is Spotlight performing indexing. When it is running it uses a lot of CPU time. It seems to be using too much processor time. This could be caused by other software causing a lot of file changes that are causing Spotlight to continuously re-index.

Improve the computer's performance by uninstalling the Trend Micro anti-malware software. It is not needed. You have 32-bit software installed. Catalina does not run 32-bit software, so you should remove it or replace it with 64-bit upgrades. To find and remove 32-bit software use Go64.

You may consider reducing the number of concurrently running software because you are getting a bit low on available free RAM, and starting to use virtual RAM which can slow down the computer.

u

Jun 18, 2020 11:49 PM in response to Kappy

I have the same problem on Mojave since the Security Update 2020-003.

Since then mds_stores, even when all mdworker_shared instances have stopped and no new ones are created i.e. indexing is finished, keeps at 30 to 100% CPU and writes 10GB/Day to disk. Thats without me even touching my MB-Pro.

The only way to make it stop is to turn off spot light indexing via "sudo mdutil -a -i off"

Simply said Security Update 2020-003 broke spotlight

high cpu usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.