Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

low resolution photos and videos won't play after moving photo library

Hello,

I think I may have blundered! I needed to free up space on my MacBook Pro so I dragged my photos library from the Photos folder to Dropbox. I have since dragged it back to the MBP. Now when I open photos, my photos are lower resolution and quite pixellated, although when I look at the info some of them show as large files of about 4MB others show as 800 or so KB. Also my videos show normally in the ap but if I try to play them I can't and get an error message saying "cannot play video - Photos cannot play this video because it uses an unsupported format."

Is there anything I can do? Or have I royally messed up?!

Best regards, Sally

I'm on Mojave 10.14.6

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 7:26 AM

The syncing with Dropbox may have damaged the Photos Library. It is not safe to put a photo library on a volume that is syncing with a cloud service. It can break the links between the versions and the original files and the database files. Apple warns against it in this document: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for macOS – Apple Support

If you store your Photos library in a location that's part of a cloud service (for example, Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive), your library might be damaged by the syncing process. As a result, you could lose photos.
To see your photos on all your devices, you can use iCloud Photo Library. To back up your library, you can use Time Machine.

Do you have a backup copy of your library, from before you put it into the DropBox?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2020 7:26 AM in response to SallyP

The syncing with Dropbox may have damaged the Photos Library. It is not safe to put a photo library on a volume that is syncing with a cloud service. It can break the links between the versions and the original files and the database files. Apple warns against it in this document: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for macOS – Apple Support

If you store your Photos library in a location that's part of a cloud service (for example, Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive), your library might be damaged by the syncing process. As a result, you could lose photos.
To see your photos on all your devices, you can use iCloud Photo Library. To back up your library, you can use Time Machine.

Do you have a backup copy of your library, from before you put it into the DropBox?

low resolution photos and videos won't play after moving photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.