Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4K stream not playing on AppleTV App when the film clearly has a 4K option.

I have films in my Apple TV App which have 4K versions on the iTunes Store but when I stream these specific films they only stream in HD (1080p). I have redeemed films in HD in iTunes and Movies Anywhere and AppleTV does not stream the higher 4K resolution for some. I have plenty of other films which play 4K HDR content on my Sony TV and I have monitored the settings to prove when the 4K and HDR resolutions are playing. Why won't AppleTV simply upgrade these streams to the highest format possible when I own the HD version? These are the non-Disney films I have issues with:

Aquaman (2018)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdon

Apollo 13

Justice League

Ready Player One

Despicable Me 3

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald

Illumination Presents: Dr. Suess' The Grinch

X-Men: First Class

Other HD purchases have updated to 4K once their respective films was upgraded such as:

Jaws

Die Hard

Fast and Furious 6

Furious 7

Interstellar

Minions

Secret Life of Pets

Does this have something to do with what is purchased and what is redeemed through iTunes?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 8:51 AM

Go into your library in the Apple TV app on your Apple TV and scroll to the 4K HDR section. Only films that were redeemed in iTunes as HD will recieve an upgrade to 4K. If you redeemed a movie in Movies Anywhere (or Vudu and it ported through MA in HD) then it will only give you the HD version in iTunes. Apple doesn't upgrade HD movies from anywhere else, just iTunes.

Edit: Sometimes the resolution details can be incorrect on the individual movie pages themselves, but the 4K HDR tab is always an accurate list of which 4K movies you own.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2020 8:51 AM in response to Skillz5

Go into your library in the Apple TV app on your Apple TV and scroll to the 4K HDR section. Only films that were redeemed in iTunes as HD will recieve an upgrade to 4K. If you redeemed a movie in Movies Anywhere (or Vudu and it ported through MA in HD) then it will only give you the HD version in iTunes. Apple doesn't upgrade HD movies from anywhere else, just iTunes.

Edit: Sometimes the resolution details can be incorrect on the individual movie pages themselves, but the 4K HDR tab is always an accurate list of which 4K movies you own.

4K stream not playing on AppleTV App when the film clearly has a 4K option.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.