Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot delete blank pages or pages I no longer want from the thumbnail menu

Hi. I have updated for the latest software version of Pages and still having issues. I cannot delete blank pages or pages i no longer want from the thumbnail menu. It says it will delete my whole document. I tried it and that's exactly what happened. Does anyone know why I can't DELETE or CUT pages I am not using? thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 1:00 AM

Pages word processing documents contain one or more pages in each Section. You can delete a section, but not a single page within a section containing more than one page.

If these are indeed "blank" pages, and your document is a word processing document, Pages should have deleted the "blank" pages as they became empty of text (including objects placed inline with the text).

Go to the View menu and choose Show Invisibles.

You will see several blue characters appear in your text, including a dot between each pair of words, a pilcrow ( ¶ ) at the end of each paragraph, and possibly one or more blue lines running from the end of a line of text to a 'page' icon at the right margin.

The last mentioned is a page break. If inserted, it forces a new page, whether that page is needed or not.

To delete an empty page, first ensure that it is empty. Page breaks can be deleted using the delete key. On deleting the break, text below the break will move up to fill the space that was between the break and the top of the next page.

To delete a page (or group of pages) with content you no longer want, you can either:

• Delete the content from those pages

OR

• Place the page or group of pages into a separate Section, then select the thumbnail for any page in that section and press delete.

To isolate one or more contiguous pages in a new section:

• Place the insertion point at the end of the text on the page before the first page you want to delete.
  • Go Insert > Section break
  • Place the insertion point at the end of the last page of the group you want to delete.
  • Go Insert > Section break.
  • In the left sidebar, click on the thumbnail for the first page in the section you just created, then press Delete.

Regards,

Barry

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2020 1:00 AM in response to angi.com

Pages word processing documents contain one or more pages in each Section. You can delete a section, but not a single page within a section containing more than one page.

If these are indeed "blank" pages, and your document is a word processing document, Pages should have deleted the "blank" pages as they became empty of text (including objects placed inline with the text).

Go to the View menu and choose Show Invisibles.

You will see several blue characters appear in your text, including a dot between each pair of words, a pilcrow ( ¶ ) at the end of each paragraph, and possibly one or more blue lines running from the end of a line of text to a 'page' icon at the right margin.

The last mentioned is a page break. If inserted, it forces a new page, whether that page is needed or not.

To delete an empty page, first ensure that it is empty. Page breaks can be deleted using the delete key. On deleting the break, text below the break will move up to fill the space that was between the break and the top of the next page.

To delete a page (or group of pages) with content you no longer want, you can either:

• Delete the content from those pages

OR

• Place the page or group of pages into a separate Section, then select the thumbnail for any page in that section and press delete.

To isolate one or more contiguous pages in a new section:

• Place the insertion point at the end of the text on the page before the first page you want to delete.
  • Go Insert > Section break
  • Place the insertion point at the end of the last page of the group you want to delete.
  • Go Insert > Section break.
  • In the left sidebar, click on the thumbnail for the first page in the section you just created, then press Delete.

Regards,

Barry

Cannot delete blank pages or pages I no longer want from the thumbnail menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.