Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

should i turn on FileVault?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 8:12 AM

lots of people don't fully knows what it offers and what it does not offer

it encrypt the data on your harddisk yes

it does not protect you from the internet, if you by accident install malware, trojan or virus from the internet the said apps will run under your account as in being able to access the data unencrypted

it does protect you from somebody physically steal your computer to steal your identity and or data (most people who end up stealing normal peoples computers aim to resell it for a quick buck rather then attempt to get data from the computer)

it takes an awful lot of time to encrypt the whole harddisk, and if you forget the password somehow your data is unsalvageable

which it otherwise rarely is unless the harddisk physically breaks, even if the computer breaks one can usually salvage the harddisk data

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2020 8:12 AM in response to NancyG25

lots of people don't fully knows what it offers and what it does not offer

it encrypt the data on your harddisk yes

it does not protect you from the internet, if you by accident install malware, trojan or virus from the internet the said apps will run under your account as in being able to access the data unencrypted

it does protect you from somebody physically steal your computer to steal your identity and or data (most people who end up stealing normal peoples computers aim to resell it for a quick buck rather then attempt to get data from the computer)

it takes an awful lot of time to encrypt the whole harddisk, and if you forget the password somehow your data is unsalvageable

which it otherwise rarely is unless the harddisk physically breaks, even if the computer breaks one can usually salvage the harddisk data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.