Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

edit go pro 7 videos in imovie

Hello, I have go pro 7 videos that I would like to edit in imovie. How can I make mp4 compatible for the editing? Thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 8:29 AM

iMovie likes H.264, Mp4/AAC. If your Go Pro vids are Mp4 you can try them in iMovie. If they don't work, try making a copy of the vid and converting the copy to Mp4/AAC with the free download Handbrake. You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it without fooling with settings is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. It should work fine. If still doesn't work you can try redoing the conversion but this time manually entering the Mp4/AAC settings.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2020 8:29 AM in response to laurelcard20

iMovie likes H.264, Mp4/AAC. If your Go Pro vids are Mp4 you can try them in iMovie. If they don't work, try making a copy of the vid and converting the copy to Mp4/AAC with the free download Handbrake. You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it without fooling with settings is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie. It should work fine. If still doesn't work you can try redoing the conversion but this time manually entering the Mp4/AAC settings.

-- Rich

edit go pro 7 videos in imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.