Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 2020 Overheating

Hi, I bought the new 2020 MBA days ago and I find it gets hot really quickly. Normally, after I switch it on for five minutes, open safari and check out my messenger then it gets hot over the keyboard. Is it normal to get overheated in such a short time?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 9:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 9:58 PM

If your 2020 MacBook Air gets noticeably hot in 5 minutes of use with Safari and Messages then that is not normal.

Of course, a lot depends on the activity that is running in the background, activity on your Safari pages etc. From what you mentioned, it appears that you turn the MacBook Air on and in 5 minutes the keyboard area is hot.

If you have not restarted your MacBook Air then I recommend that you preform a complete shutdown and then restart it. See if a simple thing such as that resolves it. If NOT then get it exchanged before your 14 days return period runs out.

Axel F.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2020 9:58 PM in response to isabelzhang

If your 2020 MacBook Air gets noticeably hot in 5 minutes of use with Safari and Messages then that is not normal.

Of course, a lot depends on the activity that is running in the background, activity on your Safari pages etc. From what you mentioned, it appears that you turn the MacBook Air on and in 5 minutes the keyboard area is hot.

If you have not restarted your MacBook Air then I recommend that you preform a complete shutdown and then restart it. See if a simple thing such as that resolves it. If NOT then get it exchanged before your 14 days return period runs out.

Axel F.

Aug 18, 2020 3:28 PM in response to Axel Foley

Hello, I constantly have a message "the webpage is using significant memory and quiting it may make your Mac run better" I don't know how to fix it..I literally have nothing stored and I'm too worried to run or try any new pages or use chrome and MS 365. I wish I had understood that I now have a really expensive word processor. Even browsing Facebook I can feel the bottom get hotter and hotter. This is no way for a brand new or even older notebook to behave. I always clear history and website data…

Jul 6, 2020 1:17 PM in response to isabelzhang

I have a brand new MBA 2020 i5 16GB. To me the basic issue is the Turbo Boost of the CPU. Due to a design flaw the MBA 2020 just hasn't got the proper CPU cooling to back up the Turbo Boost. I fixed the issue by shutting down the Turbo Boost of the CPU, using the 3rd party Turbo Boost Switch app. With the TB off the temperature doesn't hit 100C, which keeps the fan from spinning at high rates and trimming down the boost mode clock speed because of the high temperature. Due to this design flaw, I now have turned Turbo Boost off permanently. If I knew about this design flaw, then I would not have spent €1,750,- on a MBA. If you want to buy a Macbook Air, stick with the base model with the i3, because this CPU produces less heat.

MacBook Air 2020 Overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.