Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard and mouse not working after sleep MacBook 2020

Hello,

Does anyone experience their built in keyboard and mouse does not work after their computer goes to sleep, and then won't work until restarting your computer? I have a MacBook Pro 2020 and a friend has a MacBook Air 2020 and we both experience the same problem.

Dane

MacBook

Posted on Jun 16, 2020 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 12:37 AM

I have a 2020 MacBook Air and I do NOT experience the loss of trackpad after the MacBook wakes up.

Do you have another device that connects via bluetooth to your MacBook Air? External mouse? External Keyboard? Do you have anything connected to the Thunderbolt ports?

Meanwhile, Try and perform the following tasks and see whether that solves the issue-

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the trackpad issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer.

Axel F.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2020 12:37 AM in response to dane2021

I have a 2020 MacBook Air and I do NOT experience the loss of trackpad after the MacBook wakes up.

Do you have another device that connects via bluetooth to your MacBook Air? External mouse? External Keyboard? Do you have anything connected to the Thunderbolt ports?

Meanwhile, Try and perform the following tasks and see whether that solves the issue-

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the trackpad issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer.

Axel F.

Aug 8, 2020 2:01 AM in response to HKre

I was having these same issues -- made me crazy. Every time my MBA 2019 went to sleep, I had to wait a full one minute for the cursor to unfreeze. I got on the Apple Support line and went back and forth with them (great support, but no one knew what to do). Finally, I wiped the entire MBA disk and reinstalled MacOS. Now it only happens once every 5 or 6 times after sleep.

I don't use any oddball software. Only Apps from the App Store such as dictionary, etc. I have use WhatsApp & Viber desktop.

1. This is something terribly frustrating that Apple seems not to recognize. I've done the ➔ How to Reset SMC andHow to Reset NVRAM/PRAM so many times I'm an expert at it.

Jun 24, 2020 6:04 PM in response to minibearmight

Hi MiniBearMight,

Unfortunately I am just a user of these community forums like you are. I do not work for or with Apple. My views and opinions are independent.

My recommendation for you is to take advantage of the warranty that you have with your 2020 MacBook Air. Have it examined by Apple or an Authorized Service Center and if they are still closed in your area then please ➔ Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Axel F.

Jun 16, 2020 11:34 PM in response to dane2021

Hello Dane,

That is intriguing, I have exactly the same issue!

I hope that it will get resolved by the Apple soon as I, for one, am starting to find this issue rather personally upsetting. I feel as though I have been vilified by my Apple notebook, and that it has developed this issue as a result of my fathers lack of ability to purchase a top line model.

I feel as though the Apple has transformed our society back to a point of extreme social hierarchy, and I for one will not stand for the complete abuse of my constitutional rights to have a perfectly functioning laptop.

If the issue is not resolved, I shall exercise my rights under the Consumer Law Act 2010 (Cth) return my notebook back to the Apple, and request a full refund in Vietnamese Dong.

Kind Regards,

JAB III.

Sep 14, 2020 12:42 PM in response to dane2021

The reply from Axel is not useful To do those resets, or boot into safe mode, you have to reboot the computer.

Rebooting fixes the problem.

As an FYI - nothing connected to the external ports (other than power supply). Nothing connected via Bluetooth.

Just close the lid, wait a while, open the lid and the keyboard/mouse don't work. After a while it starts looking for a bluetooth keyboard.

MacBook Pro Early 2019.

Only started recently. Probably a bug in one of the recent updates.

Sep 14, 2020 12:47 PM in response to PhilipPeake

One thought - I *think* it may be something trying to call home.

My default wifi is up, but no internet connectivity (don't ask ...) working via phone hotspot.

So it's connected to the hotspot when I close the lid. When it comes up, the hotspot isn't there, and even if it is, it connects to its normal default.

Someone mentioned that it works again after a while ??? Networking timeout?????

If that is the case, some dev needs his knuckles rapped quite firmly.

keyboard and mouse not working after sleep MacBook 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.