Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro keyboard not working when waking from sleep

2018 MacBook Pro (15") running 10.14.16

When waking from sleep, keyboard takes 30-60 seconds before it will work. The screen comes on as normal and I can click around just fine using a USB mouse, but the laptop keyboard will not work for up to a full minute.

This is a new problem in the last two weeks. I haven't installed any new software during that time. OSX is up to date for this version.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 11:54 PM

LeifD wrote:

When waking from sleep, keyboard takes 30-60 seconds before it will work. The screen comes on as normal and I can click around just fine using a USB mouse, but the laptop keyboard will not work for up to a full minute.
This is a new problem in the last two weeks. I haven't installed any new software during that time. OSX is up to date for this version.

Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support.

Please check if you have same issue in safe mode?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Note: Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Also please see if the reset of SMC helps to resolve the issue.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2020 11:54 PM in response to LeifD

LeifD wrote:

Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support.

Please check if you have same issue in safe mode?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Note: Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Also please see if the reset of SMC helps to resolve the issue.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

MacBook Pro keyboard not working when waking from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.