Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop and Finder won't show preview in icons

How can I fix the issue that on my desktop and finder the icon is not the preview, but the generic "png" or "pdf" label. I have checked the following so far and am out of ideas:

• I have ensured that "show icon preview" is checked in the view option for both.
  • I have relaunched finder after doing this, I have restarted my laptop after doing this
  • I have ensured that the default program for opening these files is selected in "get info" and is preview.

More information: I am running Mojave 10.14.6. This was never an issue on my laptop until I just did a full reinstall, wipe, and load from Time Machine on my Macbook.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 9:56 AM

Simple check use guest user / another user (if need create one) and see you get icon preview?

(Make sure you copy some of the sample files to shared and check)

Please check in Safe Mode if you have the same issue?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Note: Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2020 9:56 AM in response to Meganinja

Simple check use guest user / another user (if need create one) and see you get icon preview?

(Make sure you copy some of the sample files to shared and check)

Please check in Safe Mode if you have the same issue?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Note: Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Jul 7, 2020 12:10 PM in response to Meganinja

I'm having the same problem but with raw files from a Sony A7rM4 camera (The camera is listed as supported on https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210191 as a "Sony Alpha ILCE-7R IV").

• When you search on this "community" for this type of problem there are entries going back to at least 2011 with different file types and with raw files from different camera types; why hasn't Apple support gotten involved and solved this issue?
  • Each entry seems to have the same unhelpful entries such as provided by Sharhari and Eau Rouge in this entry; and then after a few simplistic questions they all go silent and the problem is never solved. It makes me think that they just paste in some answers so they can up their points count but don't really know how to address the problem.
  • I have tried all those suggestions many times without any success.
  • If you try to open a support ticket with Apple at https://getsupport.apple.com the only option is a phone call ... why don't they have a support structure like this communities page?

Jun 17, 2020 10:32 AM in response to Meganinja

Could be a corrupt preference file.

Click once on the Desktop.

Click Go in the menubar.

Select Go To Folder, enter the following text,

~/Library/Preferences

press Go.

A new Finder window with the folder highlighted.

Scroll through the folder till you find com.apple.finder.plist

move this to the Trash.

Restart your mac, a new com.apple.finder.plist will be generated.

When your mac starts up click on View in the menubar and select

Show View Options and make sure Show icon preview is selected.

Does this make a difference.

Desktop and Finder won't show preview in icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.