Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook pro (Mojave) doesn't display files icons

hi, i have a MacBook pro mid 2015 (Mojave 10.14.6). it suddenly started this thing where it doesn't show icons of images, PDFs, videos and quick look function is not working either. I tried restarting the system, relaunching Finder and changing the (com.apple.finder.plist) thing, all these methods didn't work. This is so frustrating and i really need the icon view in my work.please help.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 6:27 AM

Please check if another user / guest user has the same issue?

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Also check in safe mode if you have the same issue?

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

6 replies

Jul 23, 2020 9:53 AM in response to Hussein_Almayahi

Please see this previous discussion which may help you to solve your issue. (Similar Issue)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8616379

About safe mode:

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed.

Jul 23, 2020 9:03 AM in response to Hussein_Almayahi

The other user account should help to know if the issue is system wide or specific to a user. Now that we know it is only with your user. I think you need to rebuild the icon cache.

Personally I have restarted to safe mode to troubleshoot and it is the most common step. I didn't see any of my data lost specially files which I have saved to desktop/documents or anything like that. Unless if I have deliberately deleted.

I have mojave and much older MBP so haven't had a chance to upgrade to catalina, so can't speak if an upgrade will fix your issue.

Before you proceed to upgrade, Please backup your data and macOS incase you need to revert back.

MacBook pro (Mojave) doesn't display files icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.