Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install Mac OS after erasing HD

Trying to install OS X Yosemite on a 2011 Macbook Pro. I get the error message

"Could not find installation information for this machine. Contact Apple Care".

Apple Care after trying recovery steps resulting in the same manner resulted in the same message.

I was just preparing the Macbook for another user.

Any help on next steps greatly appreciated.

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 4:14 AM

Both options have pros and cons. Supplying it with The old version of the operating system means the new user will need to upgrade themselves. Supplying it with the new version means you have to set up a user account first and they might prefer to have a complete clean system with their own username; they would have to either stick with the username you have used or as a second user and then delete the first one

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2020 4:14 AM in response to leedsed

Both options have pros and cons. Supplying it with The old version of the operating system means the new user will need to upgrade themselves. Supplying it with the new version means you have to set up a user account first and they might prefer to have a complete clean system with their own username; they would have to either stick with the username you have used or as a second user and then delete the first one

Jun 18, 2020 1:52 AM in response to leedsed

Ok. Try this instead:

Reboot holding down Shift - Option (⌥) - Command (⌘) - R

(Note: This time Shift is being used too.)

Then reinstall the OS.

This should try to load the version of the OS that came with the Mac when it was new.

If that works, you can then use Software Update to update the OS (before you copy back any of your personal data as some of it won't be compatible with the older OS).

Jun 18, 2020 3:56 AM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

Thanks! This got some of the way there. It was actually the fact that the internet wasn't correctly connected, the Book seemed to be picking up the wrong signal.

Another quick question if I may. I am selling the Book as I have a replacement. Have loaded Lion OS (must have been the one it came with) when I reached the set up point where you select a country location I have powered it off ready for the next user. Is that ok, or should I update the OS as you say?

Thanks again.

Unable to install Mac OS after erasing HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.